Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The first week

They always say the beginning is the hardest part. I knew from the very beginning that it would be
"hard" but I didn't know just  how hard it actually would be. The first day was the worst. I realized just how little spanish i knew when I met my family for the first time. I literally felt like i ran into something. I was tired all of the sudden, and i couldn't even say basic sentences. I almost fell asleep on the 10 minute drive from the train station to the house! It was awkward at first. Everything was awkward. Showing me around the house that was going to be mine for the next nine months and all i could say was, "Oh! Me gusta!" or, "Si.. está bien!" I didn't know their routine. I didn't know how their family worked. And there was no way that they could tell me because i wouldn't know if they were talking about politics or what's for dinner.

Just like any week, anywhere in the world, there are good moments and bad moments. I can look back on this week and say, "Yea, it sucked that first night, not knowing the people that i was with and not being able to say anything. And yea, I get frustrated with myself sometimes when i just can't say something i want to say" but i can also say that i had some really good moments. Those random moments when i can't pronounce the double l (it's like the "y" in yes but more direct) and my family will laugh at my attempts or when i got a strike while bowling the second day.

When I have a bad day, I just remember those good moments and know that there are so many more to come and it helps. I just want school to start because I haven't met very many people and I want to make some friends of my own. Once the language becomes easier, everything will become easier. So for now.. I'm ok with making mistakes and I'm ok if people laugh at me because I know that when I leave, I will be almost, if not totally, fluent in spanish, and that is awesome!

Here are some pictures of my week:

Mi Familia
Posada de Llanera (Town within walking distance)
Our first skype session! Miss them all so much
The flight over!

Asturias from the bus







2 comments:

  1. Its definitely hard, but its only the first week!!!!! Like Vivian said, Hang in there! you aren't alone!

    ReplyDelete