Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The AFS family


Ya know that place? With those people? That we went to one time? And you did that thing that you do? Yea… Neither do I.

AFS + Spaniards
I had no idea how to start this blog post and whenever my family tells vague stories, they usually start like the one above. So there ya go. They always say the beginning’s the hardest to write and now it’s written.

So this past weekend was our last AFS reunion before the final one in Madrid, before getting on our planes to go home. This reunion was special because it wasn’t only the usual exchange students from Asturias and Castilla-Leon, but also Spanish students who are going abroad with AFS either this summer, or next school year. Talking to them was so incredible. Crazy how fast the roles have switched, and now I’m the experienced one: reflecting on my year and giving advice to those who are about to start their own journey.  It was especially fun to talk to the students who are going to the US. They have so many questions about how it is, the stereotypes, the food, and the weather. I definitely see their fear behind some of their words, but it’s so overpowered by excitement and wanderlust in their eyes. It’s funny because I remember when I was in their position. Still hadn’t received my host family, an amazing summer just around the corner, and sooo naïve about the future. I feel for them and I’m excited for them.
AFS goes indian...

The actual orientation wasn’t that interesting. We did the typical weird AFS activities, even dressed up as Indians at one point. As always, the best things happened in between the sessions.

Surprise 3am pictures
Although the group of “experienced” AFSers spent a good amount of time with the Spaniards, we couldn’t help but wander off on our own a little and find comfort in being with each other. This might seem strange, and you probably won’t understand where I’m coming from if you’ve never been an exchange student, but these 10 other students, they’re my family now. Just 9 months ago, we’d never even heard of each other’s names, at the first orientation we were still learning who was who, but by the midstay orientation, we’d formed a bond that I’m hoping will last forever. We just get each other. We vent to each other about everything. They’re some of the first people I go to when I’m feeling down because they’ve been there before. They’ve seen me at my complete worst in October as I left the orientation in tears, they’ve seen me when I’ve showered in rain boots and ate nonstop in January, and now, they’ve seen me tanning and singing Taylor Swift songs at the top of my lungs. They’ve seen me at 4am and 7:30pm. In a sweatshirt and yogas with no makeup on. Crying, laughing, happy, and depressed. They’ve seen it all. And hey… they still talk to me so I guess that’s a good sign! I can’t begin to describe how lucky I am to have them behind me. I know I can tell them anything and they’ll always support me. They’re more than a community. They’re my family.
The fam

So this weekend was definitely bittersweet. At one point, we received letters that we had written at the first orientation in October. My letter literally left me with my mouth wide open and my heart pounding. It’s incredible how much has changed since then and when I look back at how far I’ve come, I can’t help my tear up a little. Reading my words was so powerful.

Leaving that camp was also bittersweet. Knowing the next time I see those people will be when we are about to board our plane in Madrid. I never would've thought I'd become this close to people I've only seen three times in 9 months, but it's happened. Love you all :)


P.S Please excuse my awkward introduction. I was too lazy to pull something interesting out...

No comments:

Post a Comment