Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankful

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US, but in Spain, it's just another thursday in November. I asked my host family today if they knew what Thanksgiving was. They looked at me with confused faces. "Es una fiesta" (It's a holiday) I tried to explain. "Es parecido a la Navidad sin el religión y los regalos." (It's similar to Christmas without religion or presents) Still confused... "hmmm es un dia cuando los personas coman un monton de comida." (It's a day when people eat a ton of food) Aaah there ya go. Food. A universal sign of a good time. I also explained to them the translation of Thanksgiving, "Dando los gracias". I think they liked the idea.


After I described the typical food eaten at Thanksgiving, my host mom, Beatriz, starting making an apple pastry.  "No vas a perder una fiesta sólo porque estás en España!" (You aren't going to miss a fiesta just because you're in Spain!) she told me. "Cuando tu familia esté comiendo una tarta de manzanas, tu tambíen vas a comer una tarta de manzanas!" (When your family is eating an apple pie, you are also going to eat an apple pie!) So I will have a taste of Thanksgiving here in Spain this year!

I'll miss the famous "Patti Paulus sweet potatoes", and the time I get to catch up with all my older cousins, aunts, uncles, and family friends (who are more like family by now) this year, but I'm looking forward to my late night skype with all of them :)

Just because I'm not eating "un monton" (I like that because it sounds like mountain, which basically sums up the amount of food the average american eats on thanksgiving) of food this year on Thanksgiving, that doesn't mean I won't forget the true meaning of the holiday.

This year especially, I feel so thankful for so many things. I guess being away from home has really made me realize just how lucky I am. I just wanted to list a few things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving,



  • My Mom, Dad, and brother, who never for a moment made me feel alone when I was so far away from them. I never realized how lucky I am to call them my family until I had to leave them. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, and even though we can only talk through a computer screen, our relationship has grown so much in these three months. I miss them everyday but I know I'll be seeing them soon. 

  • My best friends back home. When I said I left a piece of my heart in Delaware, I meant it. These girls never failed to make me laugh when I was in the worst mood, or just to brighten my day by sending a letter. I love seeing their beautiful faces on snapchat and I can't wait to tackle them all in June. But until then, I hope they have an amazing sophomore year and never forget they have a best friend in me. (Henar, you too!)

  • My AFS friends- Megg, Cameron, Paige, Esther, Jonah, Lani, Alli, Luca, and Maele to name just a few. They are probably the only people who will ever understand exactly what I'm going through. They're crazy, loud, and obnoxious and I love them all so much.
  • La familia Menendez-Cosmea- They welcomed me into their house in days notice, and from the very beginning made me feel like a part of their family. They made me realize how important it is to have a family, no matter where you are, and they even put up with my obsession of christmas music months before christmas season starts. 
  • Anyone who reached out to me over the past 3 months. You are the reason that I could do what I'm doing with a smile on my face and confidence in my step. The amount of support from back home is amazing and I will be forever thankful for that. 
So for all you back home, have an amazing Thanksgiving. Watch football, stuff your faces, and spend time with your family, but don't forget to also just take a second to look at your life and think about the things you're grateful for. I mean, that is the reason for the holiday after all, right? 

Gobble gobble
Un besito <3








No comments:

Post a Comment