Thursday, August 22, 2013

Home sweet home

I wanted to just write a final blog post to officially wrap it all up. I've been home now for just less than two months and it's been great. I've been so busy this summer with camps, college visits, drivers ed, and hosting my spanish host sister for the whole month of july. I haven't had much time to stop and think about what I've left behind in Spain, and for that, I don't think it's really hit me. I never really experienced the whole "reverse culture shock". Maybe I will later. Who knows. But like I said, being home has been great. My friends are still the crazy amazing girls I love and my family is still as strong as ever. I've even found that being away for a year has made my relationships with some people grow stronger.

Of course though, I'd be lying if I said Spain hasn't changed me. It's changed me in more ways than I'll ever know. It's changed me in the way I think, the way I view the world, other cultures, different people. I've grown a tolerance for uncomfortable situations and I've learned to accept differences, in cultures and people, as how they are. Although I've learned a lot about the spanish culture, and a whole lot of spanish, I definitely learned the most about myself in those 10 months. I just have a better understanding of myself. I can't explain to you really what that means.

Thanks to Spain, I've also uncovered my love for running. I've continued running here and actually began cross country this fall. Spain also reminded me how important family is and I'm so thankful for the one I have.

Exchange years aren't easy. They will throw you into the weirdest, most uncomfortable situations, and pull you in so many directions sometimes you feel like you might split down the middle, but in the end they will be worth it. You won't look at the world the same after. And I truly believe that no matter how rough some of the situations are, you will be benefited from it. I've become a stronger person because of this year.

Thank you all for an amazing year. Your support kept my head up and got me through it. I'm so thankful for the opportunity I had to study abroad and I hope to use my experiences in my future.

Gracias a todos en España quienes me ayudaban y me recibían con tanto cariño. Siempre estaré agradecida. Tenéis una casa en EEUU.

Muchos besos
Hasta siempre
Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment