Saturday, March 9, 2013

Boring post

The truth is, there's no point in this post. I had no intent to write a blog post until much later because I had nothing new to share, but my dad actually gave me the idea to write this boring blog post. "It might be reassuring to someone reading it in those first difficult weeks - as bad as your start was, there is hope, it does get boring!" He told me. So this post is brought to you thanks to him.

The fact that this life here in Spain has become something normal for me was inevitable since the beginning, but I could've never imagined calling it normal. How can living in Spain ever be normal!? I thought. Well, it doesn't hit you all at once. It sneaks up on you. Day to day you don't get knocked off your feet so much, you're not struggling with the language, and you start really knowing the people, and the places around you. You start to form a schedule. You won't feel like a deer in the headlights when someone addresses you directly, you how to formally talk to elders, and you start to learn how to crack a joke. You understand almost everything in class, which allows you to completely ignore the teacher while you day dream. You cram the night before for big tests, you always talk about how all you want to do is sleep, and the people in the local candy store know your name. Basically, you start to live in your surroundings and make your own life here.

So as this post doesn't really have a point, I could go rambling on about things that don't really matter for days. What I'm trying to say behind all of this is that a month has gone by since anything really "big" happened and I'm okay with that. Next week, I'll be turning 16, and less than two weeks later, I'll be walking around Navia with my mom and dad. Then, three weeks later, I'll be in Paris and then I'll be on the final stretch of my time here in Spain. Sometimes, a break is good. It's like the calm before the storm of events that will lead up to my final weeks here in Spain.

So to people back home; nothing new over here in Spain. Just chilling.

And to future AFS students; no matter how crazy it seems, you'll end up calling this foreign country home.

That's all for now!

1 comment: